New Zealand Quarantine Information
To protect New Zealand’s clean environment and mainly pest free wildlife, the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has issued strict regulations for shipping to New Zealand.
Certain items in your shipment may be inspected by MPI upon arrival in New Zealand such as food, wooden products, items made from plant material, wicker, garden furniture and sports equipment.
The inspection will take place at our partner’s warehouse in New Zealand.
Items which may be subject to inspection by MPI upon an international move include:
- Garden tools, bicycles, camping equipment, golf clubs, golf shoes, horse riding equipment, outdoor furniture, and children’s outdoor play equipment. In summary, for any item that may have been in contact with soil or dirt, we recommend that you thoroughly steam clean or pressure wash prior to Shipping to New Zealand.
- Vacuum cleaner: We recommend that this is emptied and cleaned prior to shipping.
- Food: as long as this has been commercially manufactured, it is acceptable to include food in your shipment (i.e. sealed) although we do recommendthat this is kept to a small amount. Please note that food is subject to the list of prohibited items.
- Goods packed by yourself (labelled Packed by Owner [PBO] on the packing inventory).
- Wicker / cane-ware such as baskets, wicker chairs. Do not ship cane / wicker items unless they have been commercially manufactured. Items purchased for example at local markets are likely to be sent for fumigation.
- Pacific style hand woven mats. Must be cleaned and check for seeds or insects prior to shipping.
The following items are prohibited when shipping to New Zealand:
- Canned or dried meats, spices (unless commercially prepared), diary and egg products.
- Honey, beekeeping equipment.
- Any form of ivory, tortoise or turtle shell.
- Items made of, or including derivatives from endangered species, for example: rhinoceros, tigers, whales, dolphins, and wild cats. This includes sporting trophies. The only exception is if a CITES certificate is available for each item.
- Pine cones. Please be aware that many Christmas decorations contain pine cones.