Panama is a mainly Spanish speaking country in Central America, some people also speak native languages.
The country is on the isthmus between North and South America and a central point for trade between the Atlantic and Pacific regions. It is one of Central America’s largest economies, largely due to the Panama Canal.
The country attracts expats involved in the shipping industry, due to the Panama Canal, and also related shipping industries as well as other trade and logistics workers. The majority of residents live in the capital city, Panama City, or between the capital and the port of Colón (often referred to as Panama’s second city).
The country was ranked as one of the world’s happiest nation in a Gallop poll so this could be another draw for expats around the world. It has a tropical climate with generally high temperatures and humidity throughout the year.
Mainly because of its European heritage, the country has many cultural traditions which were brought over during the Spanish conquest such as Spanish music and dance. The country also has a US influence, which is particularly evident in the national sports such as Baseball. In addition, Panamanians of course also have a Caribbean cultural influence. Due to its international trade links, Panama is generally considered to be an ethnically diverse country.
Shipping household goods to Panama – Customs Requirements
- Documentation needed for importing – passport and visa / work permit, plus employment letter.
- All shipments are inspected by Panama Customs.
- Importation of household effects shipped to Panama must be within six months of arrival of the client according to customs regulations.
- The Customs Inspection by Panama Customs normally occurs at the client’s residence.
- Panamanians returning (after at least two years overseas) can import used items duty free.
- New items such as new items of furniture are subject to taxation.
Shipping a car to Panama
Cars and other vehicles are subject to duty.
Pet Relocation to Panama
A period of 30 days quarantine is required for pets being shipped to Panama from outside of the country.
For further information on shipping to Panama, contact us for a free quotation or to request your Panama Customs Guide. Please note that whilst the above customs information is from official sources, regulations can change on a regular basis so please contact us to confirm the above prior to shipping.
Shipping to Panama News
Did you know that Panama was voted the number one place to retire to in the Global Retirement Index? Read our blog post about it here: