If you are packing your items for storage, the following tips may be helpful for you:
1. Always place the heaviest items at the bottom of your container and the lightest ones on the top. The same applies when packing cartons, place the heaviest items at the bottom of the carton and the lightest on the top layer.
2. Place as many items in cartons as possible. This is the most efficient way of using the space which you have paid for. Cartons can then be stacked and this will ensure that space is not wasted.
3. Clearly label and number all cartons. Write an inventory / packing list and make a few copies.
4. Label cartons according the room which they belong in, this is an easy way to categorise your items.
5. Label fragile cartons so that when you come to take your items out of storage, you can be extra careful with these cartons.
6. Crockery and glasses should be wrapped with clean white paper (several sheets) before being placed into the carton.
8. Pack tightly to restrict movement.
9. Distribute weight evenly in the cartons if possible.
10. Fill cabinets or drawers with soft items such as pillows and cuddly toys to save space.