Wishing all our American customers, partners and friends all a Happy 4th of July!
The occasion honours the signing of the Declaration of Independence by the Founding Fathers on 4 July 1776. In putting quill to parchment, 56 statesmen – Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin among them – renounced the British Empire and pronounced the North American colonies free states.
Here’s some fun facts that you might not have known about Independence day:
– The declaration wasn’t signed on 4th July (or in July at all).
– Three presidents have died (including John Adams and Thomas Jefferson), and one was born, on the fourth.
– There are around 15,000 Independence Day fireworks celebrations every year.
– An obscene number of hot dogs are eaten (around 155 million).
– And billions will be spent on food…around $7.1 billion when all is said and done, according to the National Retail Federation.