Brexit Revealed as Top Reason for Brits Wanting to Retire Abroad
80% of people approaching retirement in Britain believe they would have a better quality of life if they moved abroad
A new UK-wide survey by John Mason International Movers, to coincide with International Day of Older Persons on the 1st October, has unearthed startling views of the over 55’s on where they want to live out their retirement years.
The survey of 1,000 over 55’s discovered a growing proportion of adventurous older people who are now looking ‘down under’, to far flung destinations such as Australia and New Zealand, to live out their retirement.
Key findings included:
● Four fifths (80%) of over 55’s think they would have a better quality of life if they retired abroad
● Cost of living, quality of life and Brexit fears top the poll of reasons why elderly Brits want to retire abroad
● Spain (48%) is the number one country people would like to retire to, but this is now followed closely by a new long-haul life in New Zealand (24%) or Australia (23%)
● One third (33%) of over 55’s state that Brexit issues have put them off retiring within the European Union
● Men, more than women, (74%) think that they would have a better quality of life if they moved abroad
● Only 7% of UK senior citizens have never considered retiring abroad
In addition, the uncertainty of a ‘no deal’ Brexit where issues such as freedom of movement, taxation, healthcare and state pensions are still yet to be ironed out, have increased the number of retirees wishing to potentially move to destinations further afield.
Simon Hood, Director at John Mason International Movers said: “Our research shows that a huge number of British pensioners simply think that they will have a more comfortable retirement, with a better quality of life, if they moved abroad. That with fears over Brexit means that a surprising number of choices have become fashionable – even long-haul destinations such as Australia and New Zealand are now firmly on the map”.
For more information on how John Mason International can assist with your plans to retire abroad please give us a call on: 0800 093 2623 or email below.
As one of the leading providers of overseas removals on a national and international scale, we pride ourselves on providing a professional and friendly service from our highly trained and competent team. We have been recognised as one of the leading international moving companies by the networks below and we are, therefore, proud of our credentials and the quality standard they represent.
From the initial meeting to the pack up John Mason were both friendly and professional. We have already recommended them to friends, we don’t hesitate to recommend them for your move.
Surrey, UK to Auckland, New Zealand - June 2018
My whole experience with John Mason's has been very good, from having Tony surveying till today with the container being packed, I will definitely recommend John Mason to provide removal services.
M.H. South Shields, UK to Perth, Australia – May 2018
Absolutely one of the best movers I have worked with. Pleasant helpful admin staff and the delivery drivers were absolute angels sorting and moving the boxes where I asked them to. Arrived exactly when they said it would.