John Mason +44 (0)151 449 3938 International House 35 Wilson Road Huyton Business Park


Paying Tax in the United States

Like most countries in the world the United States practices a progressive tax system, so the more the earn, the more tax you pay.  Every little bit of income is taxed is the US, job earnings, lottery wins and even that $20 note you found on the street corner.

Income Tax
Everyone living in the US pays federal income tax, collected by the IRS.  Most states also levy a state income tax on its residents.  The only states that don’t are Alaska, South Dekota, Washington, Wyoming, Florida, Texas and Nevada.  Remember, that even though these states don’t tax their residents directly, they will indirectly collect taxes through such things as property transfers and higher sales tax.

The tax year in the United States begins on January 1st and ends on December 31st.  Federal income tax returns must be filed by 15th April each year.  State tax returns often have different deadlines states to federal income tax returns.

If you are a company employee, your employer will deduct tax, social security and Medicare and employee portions of private medical scheme payments each month, and pay these over to the relevant authorities. There are various deductions which can be claimed, thus reducing your tax bill.  These include things like interest on your mortgage and students loans, any US resident minor children you might have and high medical expenses.

Non-US residents who live and work in the US for more than 183 days in a given year must file a tax return.    Note that deductions are allowed for non residents and tax is levied at a flat rate, which means that you will probably be paying more tax than if you were a resident.

As of 2017, every person in the US gets an exemption on the first $9,275 they earn, plus various deductions. The lowest rate of tax is 10% and the highest is 39.6%, which will be deducted progressively from your income.  You need to earn a taxable income of over $418,401 before the highest rate of tax is applied and that is only applied to any amount over $418,401. State tax, where it exists, varies from state to state but averages out at 5%.

Capital Gains Tax
Capital gains tax is levied on profit made from short and long-term investments.  For profits made on short term investments, those under one year, the tax rate is the same as federal tax but for profits made on long term investments, the tax rate is substantially less.  If you are in the 10% or 15% tax bracket, there is no tax to pay.  The highest rate of tax on investment profit is for those earning over $418,401, but even that is only 20%.

Sales Tax
Most items you buy in the States are subject to sales tax which is applied at state level not government level.  The amount varies from state to state, with some states, Alaska, Montana, Delaware, New Hampshire and Oregon, not levying sales tax at all.  California has the highest rate of sales tax, at 7.5%.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

South Africa

Moving to South Africa? Education in South Africa

25 June 2018


Student and Working Holiday Visas, Australia – A Personal Account

18 June 2018

South Africa

Moving and Living in South Africa

11 June 2018

New Zealand

A Personal Account of Moving to New Zealand

4 June 2018

Moving with children

Moving Overseas with Young Children

28 May 2018


John Mason International Scores a Hat Trick at Prestigious Marketing Awards

23 May 2018

Our Credentials

As one of the leading providers of overseas removals on a national and international scale, we pride ourselves on providing a professional and friendly service from our highly trained and competent team. We have been recognised by the networks below and we are, therefore, proud of our credentials.

Some of our Customer Reviews

Thank you and everybody involved, you are an excellent team and an absolute pleasure to deal with.

J.D. Liverpool, UK to Toronto, Canada -
July 2017

My whole experience with John Mason's has been very good, from having Tony surveying till today with the container being packed, I will definitely recommend John Mason to provide removal services.

M.H. South Shields, UK to Perth, Australia – July 2017

Thanks Suzanne for all your help – it’s not easy trying to sort things out from such a long distance away and you’ve been superb! Thank you!

C.H. Warrington, UK to Edmonton, Canada - August 2017

About us