John Mason +44 (0)151 449 3938 International House 35 Wilson Road Huyton Business Park

New Zealand

Visas for New Zealand -Study, Family, Business and Residence

There are a variety of different visas available for visiting and living in New Zealand.  Like Australia, New Zealand works on a points system for its many different visas.

Student Visas
If you want to study in New Zealand for more than 3 months, you will need a student visa.  You must show the New Zealand government that you’ve been accepted for an approved course, and, you have enough money to support yourself while you’re studying.

All prospective international students need to undergo a medical to show they are fit and healthy.  If students intend to come to New Zealand for over two years, they will also need to have a police check and have character references.

Students are allowed to work for up to 20 hours a week during term time and full time during the holidays.  If you work more than this, your visa will be revoked.  If you want to stay in New Zealand after you have finished your studies, you can apply for a Post-Study Work Visa.

Partner of a New Zealand Resident Visa
If your partner is a New Zealand resident or citizen, you are allowed to apply for a visa which will give you the opportunity to live and work indefinitely in New Zealand.  You can include any dependent children, aged 24 or under, in your visa application.

Child of a Worker Visitor Visa
If you have been granted a work visa, any children 19 and under can join you in New Zealand.  Your children will not be allowed to work but they can attend school for a period of 3 months.  Note that this visa doesn’t apply to children of people on a Working Holiday Visa.

Parent and Grandparent Visitor Visa
Parents and grandparents can apply for a visa which gives them the opportunity to visit their family many times on the same visa.  Each visit has a maximum time limit of 6 months and a total stay time of 18 months in a three year period.

Partner of a Student Work Visa
If your partner is studying in New Zealand, you can apply for a work visa which will allow you to work and live in the country for the duration of your partner’s visa.  You are also allowed to study for up to 3 months during that time.

Parent Retirement Resident Visa
If you wish to join your adult children who are resident in New Zealand, you will need to have an annual income of NZ $60,000, plus NZ $1 million to invest for 4 years and NZ $500,000 to live on.  On completion of the 4 years, you will be able to apply for permanent residence.  This will allow you to live, work and study in New Zealand.  There are a variety of visas available covering various family scenarios.

Business and Investment
Investor visas are an excellent route to permanent residency and citizenship.  Full details can be found here.  There are two different visas: –

Investor Visa (Investor 2 Category) requires you to invest NZ $3 million over a 4 year period.
Investor Plus Visa (Investor 1 category) requires you to invest NZ $10 million over a 3 year period.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

South Africa

Moving to South Africa? Education in South Africa

25 June 2018


Student and Working Holiday Visas, Australia – A Personal Account

18 June 2018

South Africa

Moving and Living in South Africa

11 June 2018

New Zealand

A Personal Account of Moving to New Zealand

4 June 2018

Moving with children

Moving Overseas with Young Children

28 May 2018


John Mason International Scores a Hat Trick at Prestigious Marketing Awards

23 May 2018

Our Credentials

As one of the leading providers of overseas removals on a national and international scale, we pride ourselves on providing a professional and friendly service from our highly trained and competent team. We have been recognised by the networks below and we are, therefore, proud of our credentials.

Some of our Customer Reviews

Thank you and everybody involved, you are an excellent team and an absolute pleasure to deal with.

J.D. Liverpool, UK to Toronto, Canada -
July 2017

My whole experience with John Mason's has been very good, from having Tony surveying till today with the container being packed, I will definitely recommend John Mason to provide removal services.

M.H. South Shields, UK to Perth, Australia – July 2017

Thanks Suzanne for all your help – it’s not easy trying to sort things out from such a long distance away and you’ve been superb! Thank you!

C.H. Warrington, UK to Edmonton, Canada - August 2017

About us