Moving Overseas: Packed by Owner Cartons
If you are planning to do some of the packing yourself, please see the following tips:
- Make a list of everything you pack in each carton. This is necessary for customs, (particularly if you are Shipping to the USA) and also for your own personal reference.
- Never use cartons that have previously carried foodstuffs. If possible, obtain export cartons from your moving company which can either be collected or delivered prior to your move.
- Owner packed goods can only be insured on a total loss basis (rather than on an all risk policy).
- Do not pack anything that is corrosive or flammable. The general rule is no liquids or gases (e.g. aerosols, paints, gas bottles, cooking oils, bleach etc.).
- Do not pack restricted or prohibited items. The list of items is unique in every country so check with your Move Manager for further advice and a copy of the customs guide for your destination
- Leather bound books should be wrapped in tissue or in clean white paper.
- Pack cups and glasses upright. Wrap crystal glasses in tissue paper.
- Loose white paper should be used to line the base of the carton, between layers of items and at the top of the carton.
- Dralon curtains should be layered at the folds with tissue paper.
- Pack heavier items at the base of the carton and lighter items on the top.